The Simmental Premier Sale at Roscommon on Saturday last reflected most sales this year so far with strong demand for the top quality bulls and customers being very particular with their selections. Bulls averaged €3050 which was up €40 on 2010, but the clearance rate was down from 2010 at 52%. A factor in this being that there was 28 more bulls catalogued for this sale. Bulls ranged in price from €10,400 to €1500.
Top price of the day of €10,400 went to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise, for his class winner “Clonagh A Super Star”. Sired by “Banwy T-Rex” and out of a “Raceview King” dam “Milton Seabank”, this October `09 born bull was purchased by H.A. & W.S. Stronach, Banffshire, Scotland.
The Overall Male Champion went to David Wall, Newcastle, Co. Dublin with “Curaheen Bandit ET”. Born January `10 this “Hillcrest Champion” sired bull was out of another “Raceview King” dam “Raceview Merle Beauty”, H.A. & W.S. Stronach were again the buyers at €9200.
The Reserve Champion went to first time exhibitor Patrick Nerney, Keash, Ballymote, Co. Sligo. “Feenagh Brendan” was sired by “Freighduff Brendan” and out of a “Moyle Jack” daughter. Raymond Wallace, Enniskillen secured this lot at €3200.
Other notable prices included:
- €4100 to John Dunne, Belturbet for his “Milton Lord Tiffany” bull from Aidan Reynolds, Dundalk.
- €3600 to Neenan Bros, Ballyhaunis from Jim Goldie, Annan, Scotland, for a “Milton Lord Tiffany” sired bull.
- €3300 to John Hession, Partry, Claremorris, from David Thompson, Ballymena for a son of “Curaheen Tyson”.
- €3100 to Ray Bracken, Tullamore for a bull sired by “Curaheen Wakeman” from Sean Bradley, Draperstown, Co. Derry.
- €3000 to Joe Brady, Cootehill for a “Celtic Rock” bull from Martin Neary, Castlebar.
- €3000 to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, from A Hurn & Partners, Norfolk, for his “Banwy T-Rex” sired bull.
In the female section there was a clearance rate of 84% and an average price of €2290.
The Overall Champion female went to Denis O`Halloran, Tulla, Co. Clare with his 12 month old heifer “Tulla Beauty”. This heifer was sired by “Kilbride Farm Newry” and out of a “Hillcrest Jerome” dam “Tulla Sarah”. Ian & Julie Turvey, Norfolk secured the Champion for €3900.
The Reserve Champion was exhibited by Ray Bracken, Tullamore and sold for €2700 to A Hurn & Partners, Norfolk. “Cruithill Bridie” was sired by “Raceview Verdi” and out of a “Hillcrest Jerome” dam “Cruithill Vision”
Top Female price went to Paddy & Elaine Hennelly, Rosses Point, Sligo, for their February 2010 born heifer “Seepa Beryl”. Gerard Dempsey, Geashill, Tullamore purchased this “Milton Lord Tiffany” heifer who is out of “Seepa Pearl” for €4000.
Other Heifer prices included:
- €3000 to Lyndsey Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise for a “Banwy T-Rex” heifer from John Reynolds, Naas.
- €2850 to Paddy Bones, Kinkily, Mayo from Noel Duffy, Banbury for an in-calf heifer sired by “Drought Samuel”
- €2500 to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise for a “Banwy T-Rex” heifer Ian & Julie Turvey, Norfolk.
- €2500 to Ray Bracken, Tullamore from George Havarti, Neagh for a heifer sired by Curaheen Wakeman.