There was a very brisk trade at last Saturdays Simmental Sale, with quality bulls in keen demand. Bulls averaged €2600 with a 74% clearance.
Overall Male Champion and top price of the day of €4700 went to Ray Bracken, Tullamore for his 13 month old bull “Cruithill Banker”. Sired by his own stock bull “Curaheen Wakeman” and out of a “Ballybane Lad” dam “Ballybane Pauline” the champion was purchased by Moira Lavin, Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.
The Reserve Champion Male went to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise with “Clonagh A T Tiger”. William Smith, Geashill, Tullamore paid €4100 for this “Banwy T-Rex” sired bull which was out of a homebred “Freighduff Brendan” dam.
Other notable bull prices were:
- €3400 to Lyndsey Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise from Peter Lambe, Navan for a “Milton Viceroy” sired bull.
- €3300 to Garrett Behan, for a “Monaduff Legend” bull from Stephan McCann, Randelstown, Co. Antrim.
- €3000 to Angela & Gerard Brickley, Coolrain, Portlaoise, for a “Curaheen Tyson” bull from Kevin McManus, Enniskillen.
- €2900 to Lyndsey Behan from Peadar Cullen, Drinagh, Co. Wexford for a “Banwy T-Rex son.
- €2700 to Elizabeth Ormiston, Mullagh, Co. Cavan for a “Drumnagar Vicroy” sired bull from Martin Caherty, Newtownhamilton, Co. Armagh.
- €2700 to Angela & Gerard Brickley for a “Celtic Rock” bull from Raymond Wallace, Enniskillen.
In a smaller than usual heifer section, there was 10 out of the 12 heifers sold to an average price of €2360.
Judge Raymond O`Malley, Ardee also gave the Female Champion & Reserve to Raymond Bracken, Tullamore. The Champion Heifer “Cruithill Blondie” was a 12 month old heifer by his stockbull “Curaheen Wakeman” and out of a “Ballybane Henry” dam “Ballybane Nollaig”. She was sold for top heifer price of €4000 to Patrick Buckley, Tullamore. The Reserve Champion “Cruithill Britney” again by his stockbull “Curaheen Wakeman” was by a “Corah Leader” dam “Ballybane Rosy” James Muldowney, Thurles purchased this heifer at €3100.
Other prices included:
- €2600 to Raymond Bracken, for a “Curaheen Wakeman” heifer from Seamus Hennessy, Poles, Co. Cavan.
- €2500 to Mattie & Gabriel McDonald, Camolin, Co. Wexford for a “Glebefarm Tyson” sired heifer from Francis McCaul, Shercock, Co. Cavan.