Top of €10,000 at Simmental Premier Sale
The Simmental Premier Show and Sale which took place at Roscommon on Saturday March 31st was one of the best Simmental sales in recent times with the average price up for both bulls and heifers.
In the bull section, Scottish Judge Brian Allen tapped forward the 15 month old “Fearna Commander” as his Overall Champion. This “Glebefarm Tyson” son was exhibited by the Neenan Brothers, Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo and sold for top price of the day at €10,000. Out of a homebred “Raceview King” dam “Fearna Vienna”, “Commander” was purchased by Kilcormac, Co. Offaly Brothers, Joey & David Larkin for their “Hermitage Simmental” and commercial Herd.
Reserve Champion Male was exhibited by Lyndsey Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise. “Jennalyn Cavilier Rose” a 13 month old bull sired by “Omorga Volvo” and out of a “Rosten Barney” cow “Jennalyn Rosie ET” was purchased by Fred Shuttleworth, Gormanstown, Co. Meath at €4000.
Second highest price of €7000 in the bull section went to Class 3 Winner “Dermody Charlie”. Exhibited by Noel Jagoe, Drinagh, Co. Cork, this “Hillcrest Butcher” sired bull out of “Dermody Susie” by “Ballyduff Jeweller” was purchased by Robert Ruddock, Portadown, Co. Armagh.
Other Bull prices included:
- €6000 to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise for “Clonagh Buckarooney Truly” sired by “Banwy T-Rex” from Ryhs Grenham, Boars Head Simmentals England.
- €5300 to Lyndsey Behan from James Cosgrove, Enfield, Co.Meath for a “Banwy T-Rex” sired bull “Jennalyn Billy Bobby”.
- €5200 to Ray Bracken, Tullamore, for a “Curaheen Wakeman” bull “Cruithill Batthelor” from Seamus Murphy, Ennis, Co. Clare.
- €4900 to William & Marie O`Riordan, Rathcormac, Co. Cork for “Bridgemount Bond” by “Kilbride Farm Newry” from Michael Byrne, Clogherhead, Co. Louth.
- €4800 to Joe Brady, Cootehill, Co. Cavan for a “Drumnagar Terror” sired bull “Drumnagar Beamer” from Colm Conlon, Castleblaney, Co. Monaghan.
- €4800 to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise for “Clonagh Bravo” by “Banwy T-Rex” from Peter Byrne, Rathdangan, Co. Wicklow.
- €4500 to David & James Wall, Newcastle, Co. Dublin for a “Milton Lord Tiffany” sired bull “Auroch Cyclone ET” from Peter Sherlock, Athboy, Co. Meath.
- €4300 to Alex Ross Jnr, Drumlish, Co. Longford for “Monaduff Beef Cracker” sired by “Newbiemains Versace” from Michael O`Hara, Rathowen, Co. Westmeath.
- €4050 to John O`Malley, Westport, Co. Mayo for his “Hillcrest Jerome” sired bull “Liscarney Bart” from David Boland, Rossnakill, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.
- €4000 to Joe Brady, Cootehill, Co. Cavan for “Drumnagar Benjamin” by “Drumnagar Terror” from Austin Morgan, Newry, Co. Down.
- €4000 to Jennie Aherne, Cappamore, Co. Limerick for a “Towerhill What a Superboy” sired bull “Rubyjen Captan Jack” from Olga Hardy, Daingean, Co. Offaly.
- €4000 to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise for “Clonagh Chieftain ET” sired by “Banwy T-Rex” from Richard Tyrell, Edenderry, Co. Offaly.
- €4000 to A & G Brickley, Coolrain, Portlaoise from Christopher Kelly, Moydow, Longford for a “Celtic Aengus” sired bull “Celtic Charles”.
- €4000 to John Brady, Swinford, Co. Mayo for “Rabawn Classic” by Banwy T-Rex” from Una Tracey, Mount Talbot, Roscommon.
The average price for bulls of €3410 was up by €360 on 2011 with prices ranging between €2000 and €10,000 with an 89% clearance.
In the female section the average price was also €3410 and was up €1100 on the 2011 figure with an 84% clearance and prices ranging between €1800 and €7000.
Overall Champion and top price of €7000 went to Paddy Bones, Kilkelly, Co. Mayo for his in-calf heifer “Derrough Betty”. Sired by “Kilbride Farm Newry” and out of a “Hillcrest Naughty” dam “Beechhill Regina” and in-calf to “Omorga Volvo”, Chris Traynor Co. Armagh was the buyer.
Reserve Champion went to Hugh Murray, Moate with a 13 month old heifer “Shiloh Claudia“. This heifer was sired by “Herkules” and out of a “Raceview King” dam “Shiloh Wilma”. She was purchased by Niall Daly, Caranstown, Kells, Co.Meath at €5000.
Second highest price in the female section of €6000 went to Athlone breeder Billy Connell for his 15 month old “Hillcrest Champion” sired heifer “Glynwood Classy”. Out of a “Magheracrigan Special” sired dam “Classy” was bought by Padge Mulhare, Cloghan, Co. Offaly.
Other prices included:
- €4000 to William & Marie O`Riordan, Rathcormac, Co. Cork for a “Glebefarm Tyson” sired heifer “Bridgemount Belle”, purchased by James Donnelly, Laurencetown, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway.
- €4000 to Gordan Salter, Dunmanway, Co. Cork from Chris Traynor, Co. Armagh for “Mohona Celia” sired by “Raceview Virgil Katja”.
- €3850 to Ray Bracken, Tullamore for “Cruithill Big Bew”. Chris Traynor, Co. Armagh purchased this “Delfur T-Bone” sired heifer.
- €3000 to Ray Bracken, Tullamore for “Cruithill Ciara” sired by “Curaheen Wakeman” purchased by Niall Daly, Kells, Co. Meath.
- €3000 to Ray Bracken, Tullamore from Seamus Leahy, Castlepollard, Co. Westmeath for a “Curaheen Wakeman” sired heifer “Cruithill Caroline”.
The next Simmental Society sale will take place at Tullamore on Saturday May 12th.