Roscommon Premier Show & Sale Results, November 3rd, 2012
The Simmental Premier Show & Sale at Roscommon on Saturday last saw one of the biggest entries of Simmental cattle for many years with 146 animals catalogued. This large entry and the quality of animals on offer resulted in a packed attendance which included customers from all parts of the UK.
Judge for the day was Ms. Bridget Borlase for the Sacombe Herd in the UK and after very strong bull classes she tipped forward Lot 42 “Bridgemount Cadet” as her Senior Bull Champion. Exhibited by William & Marie O`Riordan from Rathcormac in Cork, this 13 month old “Curaheen Vio” sired bull out of a homebred “Kilbride Farm Newry” dam “Bridgemount Aideen” was purchased by Hillary Workman from Monaghan at €4500 for her Drumhirk Herd.
The Reserve Senior Champion “Rabawn Caesar King” was exhibited by John Brady, Swinford, Co. Mayo. Michael Durno from the Auchorachan Simmental Herd in Glenlivet, Scotland purchased this “Raceview King” son who’s dam “Rabawn Seepa Lady” is by “Hillcrest Naughty” for €3000.
The Junior Bull Champion “Carbery Carribbean” was exhibited by Keith Vickery from Roscarbery, Co. Cork. Sired by “Omorga Volvo” and out of a “Kilbride Farm Newry” dam “Cloneygowan Tanya” this 11 month old bull was purchased by Cecil McIlwaine, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone at €4800 to join his Corrick Herd.
The Reserve Junior Champion was also exhibited by William & Marie O`Riordan, Rathcormac, Co. Cork. At just a few days short of 12 months this “Glebefarm Tyson” bull out of “Ballintemple Letty” a “Hillcrest Champion” cow, was purchased by Davis Farms, Pembrokeshire, Wales at €5100.
The top bull price of the day at €6000 went to David Wall, Newcastle, Co. Dublin for a September 2011 born polled bull “Curaheen Commanche P ET”. Hector McCaskill of the Woodhall Herd, Dunbar, Scotland bought this “Dfm Edwin 51e” sired bull.
Dovea Genetics purchased Lot 26, a “Curaheen Vio” sired bull “Cloondroon Calling” exhibited by Michael Prendergast, Claremorris, Co. Mayo at €4000.
Other notable prices included:
- €4200 to Philomena Galligan, Drumfin, Sligo for “Carrickview Danny” a January 2012 born bull sired by “Hillcrest Sylvester”
- €4000 to Mary O`Halloran, Chamberlainstown, Cahir for “Bearna-Dhearg Captain” sired by “Milnafua Graduate”
- €3900 to David Brickley, Coolrain, Portlaoise for a 10 month old “Curaheen Tyson” sired bull “Anatrim Diamond 2 ET”
- €3800 to A & G Brickley, Coolrain, Portlaoise for “Celtic Carnival ET” a December 2011 born bull sired by “Curaheen Tyson”.
Overall in the bull section there was a 60% clearance of the 60 bulls on offer with an average price of €3150 which was up €40 on 2011 with a greater number of bulls sold. Prices ranged between €2000 and €6000 with a lot of bulls selling around the €3000 mark.
The female section which included draft sales from Denis O`Halloran’s “Tulla Herd” and David Wall’s “Curaheen Herd” saw 75 heifers on offer.
Top price of €8000 went to Peter & Marion O`Connell, Mallow, Co. Cork for “Raceview Cinderalla Kim ET”. Born in September 2011 this “Raceview King” sired heifer was out of the “Ballingar Franco” dam “Ballingar Kim”. Michael Barlow from Preston in the UK fought off strong Irish & Scottish competition to add this classy heifer to his Denizes Herd.
Two heifers reached the €6100 mark. First up was the Yearling Heifer Champion “Raceview Cindy Matilda 525 ET” exhibited by Peter & Marion O’Connell, Mallow, Co. Cork. This 14 month old heifer sired by “Kilbride Farm Newry” and out of the homebred “Raceview King” cow “Raceview Matilda Stella ET” sold to Wesley Abraham, Irvinstown, Co. Fermanagh at €6100.
Next at €6100 was “Curaheen Catriona” which was sold in the draft section for David Wall, Newcastle, Co. Dublin. This “Raceview Merle Beauty” daughter which was sired by “Castlegale Titan” went to Simon Keys, Norfolk.
The Senior Heifer Champion “Monaduff Bolonguer 75” was exhibited by Alex Ross Jnr, Drumlish, Longford. Sired by “Newbiemains Versace” and out of a homebred dam “Monaduff Tart” this November 2010 heifer was purchased by John Tuohy, Whitegate for €4000.
The Reserve Senior Heifer Champion “Coolatinny Barba” sired by “Castlegale Rocky” was exhibited by Noel Forde, Ballinlough, Co. Roscommon and sold to Austin Morgan, Newry at €3300.
In the Junior Heifer Section the Champion went to “Seepa Cailin” exhibited by Paddy & Elaine Hennelly, Rossespoint, Sligo. This January 2011 heifer sired by “Delfur T-Bone” was out of a “Rosten Barney” dam “Hillcrest Vickie ET”. Richard Pettit from Banffshire, Scotland was the purchaser at €5000.
Micheal Caulfield, Ballinlough, Roscommon had the Reserve Junior Heifer and this “Derrough Samual” heifer “Fairbanks Crystal” sold to Noel McDonnell, Moate for €2800.
The Reserve Yearling Champion went to Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise with a “Seabank Flint” sired heifer “Clonagh Crystal Klowna”. €4000 was the selling price here to John Harrington, Bantry, Co. Cork.
“Clonagh Dreamy Eyes ET” again for Garrett Behan, Ballyfin, Portlaoise was judged Weanling Heifer Champion. Sired by “Banwy T-Rex” and out of a “Rosten Barney” dam “Milton Senhorita ET” this January 2012 born heifer was purchased by John Niland, Curry, Co. Sligo at €5000.
The Reserve Weanling Heifer went to Gerry Lenehan, Rathlee, Co. Sligo with “Rathlee Delphi”. Kieran Clarke, Strokestown purchased this “Omorga Regan” sired heifer at €3000.
Other notable heifer prices included:
- €6000 to Peter & Marion O`Connell, Mallow for “Raceview Champion Verona 535” a September 2011 heifer sired by “Kilbride Farm Newry”
- €5000 to David Wall, Newcastle, Co. Dublin for “Curaheen Dia” a January 2012 heifer sired by “Seigfried”
- €4200 again to David Wall for a January 2012 heifer “Curaheen Dewdrop” sired by “Overhall Hivy”
- €4000 for “Raceview Cathy Williamina” an October 2011 heifer sired by “Samark Superman” sold by Peter & Marion O’Connell, Mallow.
- €3500 for “Shiloh Candy 11 405” sired by “Samark Superman” an October 2011 heifer sold by Hugh Murray, Moate.
- €3500 to William & Marie O`Riordan, Rathcormac, Co. Cork for “Bridgemount Clara” an October 2011 heifer sired by “Curaheen Tyson”.
- €3400 to Noel Jagoe, Drinagh, Co. Cork for “Dermody Candy” a September 2011 heifer sired by “Herkules”
Overall in the heifer section there was an 87% clearance of the 75 heifers on offer with an average price of €2900. Prices ranged between €1500 and €8000.